World Tea Academy LIVE!
Here's your chance to experience a "taste" of what World Tea Academy has to offer in person while at World Tea Expo 2014 in Long Beach. This course is the first step to achieving industry certification and putting yourself ahead in the industry. As the tea industry continues to grow it is vital to begin setting standards and recognizing those leaders in the tea world.
To begin your registration, click here. You’ll have the choice to register solely for the World Tea Academy Live or combine it with your trip to World Tea Expo!
World Tea Academy - Core.01 - Essentials of Camellia Sinensis
Speaker: Donna Fellman, WTA Online Education Manager
This class introduces Camellia sinensis and the three factors that make it possible for this one plant to be the source of hundreds of kinds of teas. It also explores the botany of the plant, including the history, varieties, cultivars and cellular chemistry. The class continues with the six stages of tea processing and an overview of the six types of tea that come from this single amazing plant. The session concludes with an introduction to professional cupping and the sensory evaluation of tea.
By the end of this course you will be able to:
- Name the three factors that make it possible for the one tea plant to produce so many different kinds of tea.
- Describe the tea plant’s botanical origins and primary commercial varieties.
- Define variety, cultivar and landraces and the significance of these in tea cultivation.
- Name and describe the six stages of tea processing and identify the defining stage of processing for each type of tea.
- Evaluate teas using the professional tea cupping system.
Hear what a few past students of the World Tea Academy program have to say about it...
- "I felt compelled to express my Thanks for the work you've put into this program. I have only just completed the first week, and I was quite impressed with the organization of subjects, and quality of writing in the learning materials. One of my previous lives was as a college teacher and tech writer, and I know (and do appreciate!) how difficult it is to strike just the right note between structure, substance, and presentation, and you've done a very fine job! Keep up the great work!" Lou B., San Francisco
- "I wanted to thank you for this class and the information you have worked so hard in putting together. I admit I thought this first course was going to be a bit of a repeat from my course work that I have had previously thru STI. Am glad I had the other courses to help me with this first week, it hasn't been just a simple walk in the park. It has been a learning experience for me so far and I am anticipating the rest of the course. Thank you also for making it printable as I have been bringing it back and forth with me going to work and trying to find a few moments to look at it. Also for the connections to the other information with the cultivars, rivers and others. I do enjoy learning and it helps me put it together more where things came from and where it is in the industry. Again I know it takes a lot of time and effort to do this and I for one am very appreciative that you've worked so hard in putting this together." Holly H.